Thursday, May 09, 2002

La Vita in Italia 2002

I last left off in London. Had a great time catching up with friends and I ended up staying twice as long as planned. I met loads of Brazilian, Latinos and ozzies. The Queen mother died and I took the Euro star home to Paris to avoid losing my luggage again.

Paris was great! I must have put on 5 kilos... The Euro has arrived and It looks like Monoploy $$$. Living and travelling in Europe has now become more expensive. Otherwise nothing ever changes in Paris. My family and friends are good and with a satisfied appetite I headed south.

I stayed on a friends floor in Toulouse a student town 2 hours from everywhere. I tried a couple specialities and went to the French Riviera to relax.... On my way I stoped in Carcasonne a village with an amazing castle still fully standing.



I arrived in Milano ready to learn Italian.... Not knowing my Italian friend was in Switzerland for the weekend I spent a few days speaking Portuguese with about a dozen Brazilians from my hostel. I finally made it to my friends house 40-min north in the countryside (15min form the Swiss border). We went to laco Como. A beautiful lake with some amazing scenery surrounded by the Alps range.

From there I went south to Cinque Terra (5 little fishing villages each located on the top peak of a mountain cliff. There is a mountain trail with countless steps in between each town. I take about an hour of hiking between each one. After I got in my 5 hours of hiking I made a quick stop in Pisa to see the leaning tower and went off to florence where I am now until I go to Roma.



Florence is bellissima! But far too many tourists. Rome was also impressive and a highlight ( there is so much history ). Not to mention, the concert that played there on the 1st of mMy with Oaisis, Cranberries and some other big names......



I made it down south to a town with no Mcdonalds or fast-food chains called Sorrento. Later to become my place of residence. It's less than an hour from Napoli, the Amalfi coast, Capri Island and Pompeii, MT Vesuvious..



The ruins of Pompeii were interesting. In summary- artifacts, structures and dead people. I literally climbed Mt Vesuvious to avoid the entrance fee.. A good story for next time.... I spent the first 10 days in a hostel with 9 people in my room and 3 bathrooms to share a total of 40 people.



In the end I got an apartment with a French girl and an Argentine girl... It took me 2-3 days to find work in an Irish pub- Merry Monk, the work isn't too hard but sometimes it gets absolutely Crazy. It's fun to watch people drunk all the time. Almost every night clients buy me drinks, shots etc..



It's cool to be able to drink with them while working. Although random customers keep taking pictures of me which is a little strange.... Only two of us run the entire pub and the bar is immense. I am being exploited terribly, 7 days a week, no-days off usually working from 6pm to 3am, around 65 to 70 hrs a week. The funny thing is I am actually legal here, but working and being exploited as if I had no papers.




I think when they pay me on Saturday I'll jump on boat to Sicily and then on another one to Greece.