Tuesday, July 09, 2002

* Yasu! Greece 2002

I finally left Sorrento (Italy) a month ago. It was a relief, at 4 in the morning after 31 days of work I had still not been paid and was getting worried. I went to the club also owned by the Senora.She and the way this town is straight out of a godfather movie.

Anyways had a few Havana’s and cokes... and at 5.30am I got paid. It was a great feeling I had my doubts.....I slept for an hour and hopped on a boat to the Island of Capri a beautiful place to bad it was raining.....



Then I went to Sicily. Toarimina was beautiful -a highland city in the cliffs overlooking the water with a castle and an ancient Greek theatre..... Catania and Syrausa I didn't like so I just passed through. Noto and the valley of the temples in Agrigento were nice but could be seen in a day. After not finding a place to sleep in Palermo, I just decided to leave Sicily. Except for Taoromina I didn't fall in love with Sicily.



It took 10hrs of buses and trains to get to the mainland, 5hrs of waiting, An 8hr train to brindisi, A 10 hr wait for ferry to Greece, and 18 hrs on a boat, plus 5 more hours to Athens.

Finally I met up with a Greek friend that I met in Cordoba in 2001 (Spain) who lives in Athens. His mother made me few home cooked meals and we went to a chemicals brothers concert.

I now have a completely different view of the Greeks. They are absolutely crazy! They don't like to pay for concerts so when several hundred people accumulate at the door everyone pushes through the gates and the security hoping over a few fences.



Some getting in others getting beaten by the bouncers or arrested (a few). ...An hour later another wave of 3-400 people break in. It felt like Pamplona again. I found Athens to be like many other big cities. The Acropolis was a let down. It was in complete reconstruction. But I had a good time the first few days...

Then I got stuck in Athens in hostel for the last couple days was board out of my mind waiting out the strikes to take boat to the Islands.... Even planes were booked. Love the organisation in Greece.....



Finally made it to San torini where I spent 2 sunsets and went to the party island of Ios. A crazy place! What a party ! I have gone out for the last 12 days non-stop until 4-5am in the morning.



I met so many South Americans( especially Brazilians) and we had a great time for the world cup. I met a friend from Italy and another from London by accident and life has been hard.



All day on the beach, occasional football and volleyball to keep fit and discos and bars every night.....I got and apartment with a friend I met in Italy several months ago. I am working at a restaurant on the milapatas beach .



For extra money I have been doing a few days as an extra in an Italian movie being filmed here called dillo con parole mie. I ran out of money again last week so I have not been emailing much. But don't stop writing.....



So far having an awesome time but when I am bored and have some money maybe I will make it to turkey or Eastern Europe.



It was nice to change my diet . Nutella, bread and eggs every morning with tuna or salami sand lunches red/white pasta dinners everyday for the last 2 months was getting boring. Greek salads, mouusakka, gyros, figs etc....ahhh
( was a great change).