Saturday, November 09, 2002

Argentina and Uruguay 2002

After northen chile I spent a pleasant week with a Chilean girl I met in Athens. She lived in Santiago but we went to spend several days on the beach in vina del mar. I spent most of the time focusing on eating after previously being in Boiliva and Peru.

My next destination was south to Chile´s lake district and patagonia in Argentina.



The next couple of weeks were spent exploring national forests and parks. Trees, countless rivers, endless lakes, mountains, volcanoes, glaciers, too much hiking and never ending treks. It has been some of the most spectacular scenery I have seen.

However, I have done more walking, treking, and hiking this month than I have in a lifetime, And I need a break..... It may take 2-3 years to recover. Till Nepal : )



I started in a little town called Puncon known for it´s extreme sports. Everything from rafting to , horseback riding, treking and the famous hike on a snow covered (active) volcano called Villarica. Next I set off to the island of Chiloe a beautiful setting with small colorful wooden houses in German colonial style surrounded by verdant hill and meandering rivers.



I crossed several scenic lakes and little villages traversing the boarder into Bariloche(Argentina). Which is known for it´s skiing tasty chocolates and fine meats. Spent some time at the famous Albertos restaurant. I also went white water rafting before heading to penensula Valdez. There I saw lots of wildlife including Franca whales, killerwhales, dolphins, penguins etc...



After a 24 hour bus south (and many degrees cooler) I saw the spectacular Moreno glacier. An immense advancing ice cube with thoundering sounds every several moments as hugh chunks of ice broke away from the glacier.







Afterwards we went treking to the 2 most popular parks in South America. Torres del paine and Fitz Roy.



In the end, many lattitude lines to the south I made it to the land of fire. The end of the world. The most southern city on the globe before reaching Antartica, Ushuia.



I spent the holidays eating and drinking excessively with some great people I just met from all over the globe in a youth hostel.



Returned to Beunos Aires and Cordoba to spend some time with freinds and famila
Enjoyed some incredible night life and as always in Argentina I´m stunned to see how many beautiful women there are.



The food is so in-expensive at present so I have been treating myself to nice restaurants daily.



I will pass through Uruguay next on my way to Brasil in a few days. I hope everyone had good holidays and a great New year filled with health, luck and much happiness.



I was on boat to Colonia(Uruguay) the last time I wrote. A funny little place Uruguay. It's amazingly calm and relaxed. People are sleeping on the grass in the middle of the city or siting on their porches sipping tea.

Whether driving or just walking around the city almost everyone has a large thermals (of hot water) under one arm and ''mate'' in the other hand. Mate is a tea which you drink out of a hollow half cocnut shaped cup with a metal straw. I spent a few days to say hello to some freinds I met in greece and went noth to Brasil!